AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying a pig
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 12/15/2010 09:12 (#1487004 - in reply to #1486751)
Subject: Re: Buying a pig

red -fox - 12/15/2010 01:02 My market price as of 12/14/ 2010 for a sow over 500lbs would be from 46 to 48 cent per lb. My buther shop is booked out in to the last week in Januray of 2011. ( this i know because i have a party that wants a market hog 245=280 weight to the buthershop) So you my want to check with your place of busniess. Otherwise you have to have a place to feed an hause this sow. Now there is a lot of meat on a big sow. Also can be a lot fat or it is called Lard. There are a few things you my want to check out before you buy her Is she with pig, is she dry up from feeding her last litter of pigs, went was the last shot given to her ,an if her feed had drug's in it in the farrowing hause thing to think about good luck to you

If she went to market she "should" be clear of any drug withdrawal times.  

Should is the operative word but the same applies to any and all meat that you buy at the grocery store, the animal that it came off of should have been clear of any drug withdrawal times.

Most of the feed grade drugs that are used for sows have a relatively short withdrawal time.  The drugs that have long withdrawal times are usually limited to small pigs, under 100 lbs.

For better eating, if you have any guys in the area with hogs, ask about buying a hog with a belly rupture.  There is NOTHING wrong with the meat from a pig with a belly rupture but the packers discount them heavily.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)