AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you need to charge to custom feed/calve??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rocknkcattleinc
Posted 11/18/2010 12:37 (#1442197)
Subject: What would you need to charge to custom feed/calve??

NW Iowa
Had a phone call this morning, a guy from the area is looking to have 35 head of purebred angus cows in good condition & 22 head of purebred angus heifers yarded, fed & calved from the time they come off corn stalks till the first week or so in may. They are sync'd to start calving the 2nd week in feb., and yes the heifers are supposed to be bred to a calving ease bull.

First he'd need to find feed for these girls, he wanted to use what I got or whatever I'm feeding & pay me for my feed (silage/brome/hay/oats/distillers), I'm not so hot on that, told him I'd rather he have hay/brome/distillers whatever just be delivered & paid for already because like every cattle feeder I'm a hoarder & always feel I'll be short the way I am, but never seem to come up short come summer. Seems easier this way to have feed delivered so I can grind bales & mix distillers seperate from my own feed. Everything would get fed through the feedwagon in bunks & rationed.

What would I need to charge to do this start to finish say from Late Dec- mid May?, (tie up a few yards, feed, calve, tie up shelter for calves, etc.....) I'm not a custom feeder/calver by trade, have always had plenty of my own to feed. This year I've got half the cattle on feed as normal & those will prob be sold as feeders after Jan 1 instead of finished & also I have 25% fewer cows to clave this year. All opinions welcomed, thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)