AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Tara Farms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

citoriskeet
Posted 9/15/2010 16:43 (#1360728 - in reply to #1360315)
Subject: Re: Question for Tara Farms

Central, IL
I know I was not optimistic about last years crop until the combines hit the field and with good reason. Most corn was planted in May and was replanted in June. I know thats the way it was here. Several farmers sidressed an additional 60 pounds of N because of leaching concearns from the large amounts of water we recived. We were not blowing smoke but were very pesimistic about last years crop. The cool wet summer helped add bushels. I cant EVER remember June corn turning out to be anything but a disaster.

2010 is a different story. Perfect corn planting weather for the most part with good stands. A wet summer that turned hot and dry. Most guys including me were looking for 200 bushel corn around here. Rapidly maturing crops caught some offgaurd. Then the combines started rolling the third week of August. The last time corn was picked here in August was in 1988 and we all know what happened then. Needless to say most yields were way off from the 200 mark for most. If you caught one of those late July-August pop up showers that dumped a couple of inches your corn is probably doing great. But those pop up showers dont usually have widespread coverage, hence the variablity we are seening.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)