AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn basis...what's going on...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/31/2010 15:32 (#1295327 - in reply to #1295244)
Subject: RE: Corn basis...what's going on...

Pittsburg, Kansas

Thanks for the insight Ray. Always appreciate comments from someone "on the ground". Normally we forward sell new crop corn starting at planting time (sometimes earlier) and selling incrementally through the spring so that by now we have about a third to half of our new crop sold. I really drug my feet this year, mostly because of the unsettled situation in the financial markets. We started seeing really good basis and for the last month have really played catch up in new crop sales. Not yet a fourth of the new crop sold but are getting there. New crop bids for delivery into NE Arkansas or SW Mo (for us .25-.35 freight) has been in the $4 area. I think the last my daughter sold (she handles the physical sales) was 4.26 for Dec delivery. Harvest delivery closer to $4.

Old crop we are sold out except for bin cleanup. Will deliver the last of contracts in next couple of weeks then clean the bins out whatever is left. We have just pretty steadily sold all through the spring, sometimes skipping a week or two if the market sold off hard and catching up if it rallied. I'm too dumb to figure out what the markets are going to do so we just sell incrementally for most of the year. We scale up if basis is good and processors are wanting it and back off a little if they don't. Use futures sometimes for the sales if basis is bad and catch up on the cash sales when basis is better. I'm no good at guessing the fickle market so we just take the averages and try to merchandise intelligently.

John

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)