AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fresh cow with swollen leg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rasputin
Posted 7/17/2010 10:30 (#1276788)
Subject: Fresh cow with swollen leg

Gotta go shoot my baby girl but I would like to know what is up with her ...

Calved thursday night, backwards, pulled hard, but nothing to crazy, heifer calf is fine, fair sized.

Friday morning, cow couldn't get up, lifted her up and dragged her out with Skiddles, no sign of damage or anything, but right leg is totally limp. I assumed nerve damage. Called vet, gave phosphorus, dextramethasone, theracalcium and possibly something else, diagnosis was nerve damage (sadly I was not there)

This morning, she has been crawling around some since last night, so some improvement. This morning lifted her up, right leg is totally swollen, all of the tissue on her thigh is rock solid and about 3x larger than it should be. Even her hoof region looks 2x bigger. Anywhere there is significant tissue on the right light is swollen.

I had one cow do this to me last year, thought she hurt herself when she knocked a grate of the gutter and fell in the 5 foot pit of a gutter. This time around, no grates off, so back to the drawing board.

PS - on upper leg when I squeeze the flesh a bit, it felt the same as it does when there is air underneath the skin, almost like it was a stiff foam instead of muscle tissue, hard to describe the feel and sound of it.

I am now thinking a major bacterial infection, but with no wounds?

Feeling a little discouraged, I really didn't need this and I hate shooting my pets.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)