AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sold fat lambs yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

spudsco
Posted 7/2/2010 10:31 (#1258098 - in reply to #1255543)
Subject: Re: Sold fat lambs yesterday

SWMN
If you want to start your own sheep flock do some research first. Differeent breeds for example do better in other parts of the country as others. What kind of feed options do you have in your area? Hay, corn, silage, Soy Hulls, pasture??? There's all kinds of different feed options out there that you will have to make work in your flock. I wouldn't buy ewe's from a sale barn. Usally them were the ewe's I and other's were selling because of a bad udder or something. Another problem with that is you get all these different ewes from other flocks and you have a vary good chance to bring home some desease that will spread to the rest of your flock. The foot rot is what allways scared me when I hauled my fat lambs off to market getting it in the trailer or on my boots. Foot rot will live in the soil for so many days or months, it likes moisture to live.

Good luck to anyone that decides to start out. It does take alot of time during lambing months, but good ewes that are easy lambing and good mothers will make your lambing time easier.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)