AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bought a Used ThinkPad - Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/12/2007 22:20 (#118911 - in reply to #118878)
Subject: Re: Bought a Used ThinkPad - Questions

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I need to check out my battery situation further. As I mentioned the "guage" seems to show that the battery runs down faster than I would think it should.

Tonight I had a full charge and took it into a tractor to do an upgrade on my 332 GPS. The guage showed about 90% charge when I started. I felt this should be very adequate as the update process shouldn't take too long.

Part way through the update, a message was presented advising me to go to 110 V power or prepare to shutdown. Since I was part way through the update, I did nothing. Seconds later, a message appeared telling me the computer was going into hibernation. Seconds later everything went dead.

I got my 12 V to 110 v adapter and power cord and pugged it into the tractor. Since I was in the middle of the update, I was a bit scared. Fortunately, the 332 came back to life in its former state and I was able to restart the update process runnning off the tractor indirectly.

This leads me to believe that the battery in this used laptop is in need of replacement. I can't believe a normal battery would run down that quickly. As I stated earlier, I'm sure the running time is quite short on this computer (probably why it was traded in) but it must be longer than my experience.

Thanks for the replies. I paid $600 for this unit which maybe is too much. I could have bought a new laptop at Wal-Mart for less but it wouldn't have fit my needs. I'm fairly sure I could have done better on-line but I appreciated the fact that I can return the unit within seven days. I also like the fact that I can go to a "real" store for advice. This comes with a price.

Edited by tedbear 3/12/2007 22:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)