AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backup hard drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 3/14/2007 00:48 (#119524 - in reply to #119346)
Subject: RE: backup hard drive

Mississippi
Ron...

The files are encrypted. They also don't contain passwords or user ID info or related security points. Somebody could break into my house, steal my accounting computer and have a much easier time getting to the heart of my finances...and then get terribly depressed once he saw what kind of shape I was in. ;0)

On the whole, I'm more concerned about the house burning down and the loss of key data than I am worried about somebody figuring that it would be worth it to somehow break into a remote, secure server, steal my encrypted files and then figure out how to crack them. When thieves go after a big corporation, they focus on credit card info and identity data that could be put to work right away.

If someone figured out how to steal my files from a backup service, I guess he could get my routing and checking account numbers, but I leave those all around the county, anyway, every time I write a check. Credit card info gets spread around like that, too, plus all a waiter has to do is look on the back of my card and steal that 3-digit security code that's now required for on-line purchases..

When I come into the office in the morning and see the backup message -- how many files were securely backed up the night before -- I can start the day knowing that my QB and data bases are secure up to that point.

Owen
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)