AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backup hard drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 3/12/2007 17:20 (#118788 - in reply to #118734)
Subject: RE: Any backup can fail.

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

You are so right.

Last week, I brought up my farm accounting program, and the data was missing.  Looked for it on the local drive, could not find it anywhere.  That's ok, I back up regularly to another computer on the network in the house, and also my laptop.  It wasn't on my laptop, and wasn't on the other computer in the house.

I checked the backup computer in my farm shop, and it was there.  I only had to enter three checks to restore everything.  I still haven't found what the problem was, and it bothers me.  But, multiple backups saved the day, and I didn't even check the jump drive that I back up to at least once a week, so I possibly had another ace up my sleeve.

I thought I was paranoid about backups until that happened, but now I know I was just being cautious.  I learned early on about father-grandfather-great-grandfather backup methods when we used the large floppy disks, then backup tapes for backup.  After initiating a network of computers, I don't use disks or tapes anymore, but do backup to another building in case of fire.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)