AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opinions on line breeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/11/2010 16:16 (#1158675 - in reply to #1157833)
Subject: RE: Too much Domino ??? What's wrong with these calves? (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

My 205 day adj weaning weights for calves weaned last fall AVERAGE is 632 lb for heifers, AVERAGE is 684 lb for steers. This is with rotational grazing grass only except for an insignificant sweet feed treat now and then to gentle them. No creep.

Would Angus or Balancers be significantly higher than that under these conditions?

What is more important to me than just weaning weight is the calf 205 day weaning weight to cow weight at weaning ratio. I want a group of cows that wean off 205 day calves at least 50% of their weight at weaning.

I had a very uniform group of calves. Here is a picture of some of them right after weaning having one of their gentling treats. What's wrong with these calves that is caused by too much Domino? Why do I want to change anything?

I am pleased with "pure" Herefords in my system. Lots of benefits, few drawbacks (except at the sale barn) in my system.

My herd fertility, so far, is outstanding. I do think in any herd you need to cull aggressively but I have only had one cow not preg check as pregnant and that was probably my fault also. She went for hamburger.

My emphasis right now is increasing efficiency, lbs of high-quality beef in the box, per acre, without a lot of outside inputs except purchased hay. This may be a very different way to look at things than many other operations.

jmho.  Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/11/2010 16:30

(IMG_2366_Some_2009_Calves_120609_After_111509_Weaning_eating_gentling_treat.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2366_Some_2009_Calves_120609_After_111509_Weaning_eating_gentling_treat.JPG (92KB - 108 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)