AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anybodu else think there farm is stagnant or falling behind???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

loran
Posted 1/29/2010 19:28 (#1048253 - in reply to #1047277)
Subject: depends on the measuring stick

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
How are you defining success or stagnation....

I was in a rut a few yrs ago that looked like a guy was either have to Compete or Figure something else out.

I've since dropped half the acres and focusing on the better acres and right now we're putting the finishing touches on a totally new venture that seems to have the good old risk reward system we used to operate on... but no safety net other then a guys brain and ability to manuver through challenges....

The base farming operation is clearing more now then ever,and if the new venture suceeds will run whether I'm here or not... So is a guy really stagnent just cause your not adding acre/units?

That right there is a scary fact about most operations...size overcomes quickly...To many operations depend if the Boss shows up every day.

If you look back through history...how long did it take before Poutry and Hogs fully succomed to the Majors. Alot of "potentials" came and went before the perfect storm hit and the Survivors set the bench mark for others to follow.

The reason I enjoy reading and talking to the current grain "potentials"....if you can glean information/tatics off them and learn from their mistakes. It ups the chance a guy can be a "Survivor' should a great shake up/realignment occur....much like happen to livestock???

With all that said though, I still think it will be a while before they could squeeze efficiency out of some of the rougher ground I used to farm...more power to them if they can.

Edited by loran 1/29/2010 19:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)