AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not 4th of July, but....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 1/26/2010 20:03 (#1042940 - in reply to #1042577)
Subject: RE:Happy Independence day!

Bourbon,Indiana

Here (our family), we may work through the day, but usually head to town to watch the fireworks. As a kid we did get to nock off about noon to head to town & watch the parade. One of the highlights of summer. Now the 4th starts of the 4-H fair season with sundry county fairs showing off the kids projects & rides. It culminates with the state fair in the state capital in early August. I rarely go. However, with the wife being a State Trooper, she gets to spend about 3 days a week for three weeks(it is a three week long event), doing the graveyard shift. She really is not apt to want to roam around on her off time.

Did your dad have many horror stories about his ordeal? Or did he say much about it at all? My grandfather was stationed over in the Pacific on one of the Islands. Not sure which one. He left a wife of less than a year with my Mom as a baby. I never did hear but a couple of stories about his time over there. I did get the feeling that allot must have happened, as when I tried to ask questions, he sort of clammed up.

One story he did relate: the air raid sirens went off & everyone left their bunks to dive into their respective foxholes. When he came back, his pipe, which had been in a pocket of his shirt, hanging on the bunk, was smashed by a slug from a Japanese Zero. That was the diciest story he related to me.

He must be blessed to have made it out of that hellhole, alive.

P.s. the wife is finalizing her report and is very thankful for the responses she got from you & others. She hopes to give you gents a pat on the back when she gets time, (even Phil).:}

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)