AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not 4th of July, but....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ham
Posted 1/26/2010 05:57 (#1041864 - in reply to #1040967)
Subject: Answers to all your questions (well... mostly ) and more

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust

Thanks for th responses. Answers to questions as follows.....

How do you Commemorate Australia Day.

Me personally..? It would be unpatriotic to work wouldnt it..? But i did a little.. Otherwise blew the day by snoozing in front of the TV while the wife occasionally snoozed alongside partially watching an NCIS marathon, and  I also did some acoustic and electric guitar solo jamming.         Endless excitement here....

So what is on the menue for the Barbee? Temp. ? NO i don't want to know!!! 23 f and a blizzard out here. Iowa
We didnt do thd  Barbie thing, but many would have. The obvious answer is "shrimp", but we don't actually call them that here.   The word here is "prawns'.        BubbaGump Prawn Co.

Temps ? high of 34.8 C or 94.6F SPOILER ALERT..You'll have to highlight the blank spot there  to see temps (in case you can't handle it...)

Do you celebrate with fireworks ? Am looking for some winter work.lol.
NO WAY!!!! Too much fire risk from fireworks in an Australian summer. I think they may do that in select areas of larger cities maybe, where it's all concrete or  water ( like Sydney Harbour )   and little fire risk.

Looks like your Country is about 12 years younger than ours?
That would be right I guess. Your Bi-Centenary was 1976 from memory?? Ours was 1988. Even I at my advanced age don't recall the founding days of either nation.

Happy Australia Day from the other side of the Britsh Empire.............!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! Like yourselvesI think,  we arent really that fussed about, or even aware greatly of being part of any British Empire, and we have been under self rule for an awful long time. However, as is usual on this day, the Republican lobby has again raised the issue of breaking away, and if not doing that, at least removing the Union Jack from our flag. Most Australians aren't really interested in doing either of those. We are what we are, and we aren't about to deny our heritage. England plays no part in our affairs anyway, and we consider ourselves as a nation to be all grown up, but happy to visit with the parent nation ( England) and sibling nations ( Canada and others ) as well as  close friend nations ( USA & Others) without being told what we will or won't do.             By anybody.

And personally, I like our flag just how it is. For those who  don't know, which I assume is most on NAT.. it shows the Union Jack in the  top left corner, the significance of which is obviously our British background. It also shows 5 stars of the Southern Cross constellation, as well as  The Commonwealth Star. The total of six stars represent the  6 states of Australia. There are some other details that have some minor significance, such as  how many points on the individual stars, but I consider them trivial notes in the current discussion.

Edited by Ham 1/26/2010 06:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)