AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Killer the cat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 1/13/2010 01:05 (#1020103 - in reply to #1019975)
Subject: RE: Ever heard of a seeing eye cat for the blind......

Burlington, IA
Actually, you're flat wrong, which doesn't surprise me, given your attitude toward cats. There have been a number of stories in the media the past few years about service cats. There are a number of cats that serve as therapy animals in places like nursing homes and rehabilitation centers as community pets who interact with patients who perhaps have had strokes, or the elderly who are fighting Alzheimer's and the like. They interact with the patients to help bring them out of their shells, give them something relate to and focus on, etc.

There was also a recent report in the news about a cat who can evidently detect a young man's oncoming seizures before they actually happen, and warn the family before they occur. That's not the first time I've heard of cats being able to detect medical occurrences such as that. Not to mention cats who have alerted their families to house fires.

If those aren't examples of cats serving as serving as service animals, I don't know what does. Just because they don't live up to your macho perception of what functions a service animal performs, don't mean a cat is any less capable, or the functions they do perform, are any less a service than the biased examples you cite. All of God's creatures have a purpose, although I fail to see what a mosquitoe's is.

Any mistreatment of a cat by one of you macho types is on the same level as a wife beater. Pure cowardice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)