AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

living with relatives
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ernie
Posted 1/12/2010 02:10 (#1018323 - in reply to #1018209)
Subject: Well , 13 F's do not qualify

North End I-15
for scholarships . A little thing called lack of money , a wife , 3 kids , working part time 72 hours a week , scholastic probation , time out for a little military service , lack of direction , and finally .... The wife gets a teaching job ! (she had a 2 year teaching certificate when I married her plus $500 saved in the bank , I married her for her money :>) ) We both were in school together for a time , she got her 4 year certificate the first 2years or so after we were married . When she finally got a teaching job in a college town it helped.
No financial aid available , No Fulbright scholarship , no welfare , not eligible for work comp . , No parents willing or able to support a worthless married drop out . Most of all just too darn ornery to do it there way ! :>)

I worked ranch jobs , picked garbage , janitored , did lawn care /landscaping , carpentry . Odd jobs , drove school bus , Taugh summer school Art classes @ college for grade school kids . Worked harvest crew , all while trying to get through College . It was a fun trip .

Oh how I envied the scholarship kids , they were smart .Long as They kept a "B" average life was good.

The workmans comp guy got rent paid , new teeth , commodies . As a Male middle class bum I qualified for nothing but jobs no one else would work . Cleaned rail cars , (had to beat the Indians to that job , Paid all of 1.50 a car , 3$ for a double decker ) for shipping sheep , hogs , cattle . One had to shovel the crap out one side , shovel sand in the door on the other side . Rail guy inspected each car before payment . Bucked bales on contract @ 10 cents a bale , picked by hand hauled and stacked . Can't think of all the reasons why it took so long . Along the way I developed no sympathy for those able bodied people who live off the goodness of the tax payers . Don't even get me started .
We took what the Indians threw away . They got government commodities , kept the food you could eat from a can
threw the food that needed preparation out . We got dried beans , flour , from our Indian neighbors . Lots of time the only food we had was Maccoroni , Paid the rent on time , lived well we thought . Saved pennies , still do .
There was always a job for a guy that would work .
I have never been with out a job , no matter how tough things were , I have clean'd grease pits , acetelene generator pits . Nasty work that no one else wanted to do . Acid scrubbed swimming pools , salvaged junk to fix and resale ,
roofed houses , sold life insurance /health insurance for Bankers Life and Casualty ...now thats a snake oil job .
Was insured and bonded by the compamy when I was 2 years under age to do so . They care only of the bottom line . Sell . Problem with that work is 90 % of your sales are or were in those days evening work . Met some mighty interesting ladies home alone .....
Some jobs were for a day , some lasted a week , some till the job was done , others depended on weather , all paid enought to survive , pay the rent , eat a bit , and squeeze in a bit of schooling between and at the same time .
the 72 hour a week job and carring 22 credits about did me in .
I went to the bosss and asked for a full time job . "Why , you are working more hours than any one else here"
"Yeh , Thats why I want a full time job , they only work 40 hours ! "

So why does it take 8+ years to get through College for a 4 year degree ?

Why rush it , life is short :>)

Edited by Ernie 1/12/2010 02:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)