AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Been to Maxwell Street? (In Chicago)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 1/10/2010 16:58 (#1015275 - in reply to #1015242)
Subject: Nope, but try Swap-O-Rama!!

Blooming where I am planted!

Nope, never been there.  Cicero in its day wasn't a bad place to be either; Mom and I used to go to a restaurant there from time to time as I was growing up. Now it's a place best avoided, as it is dangerous and full of gang activity.

This place is about 5 minutes from my house and it is the "new" flea market.  I took KSBoy there on one of our visits, more as a curiousity than anything else.  It's very different than being in Kansas on a farm!

It's in the middle of a light industrial area.  Lot of ghetto-urban people go there, interesting to see the "fashion".  Truck [sized] vendor (big guy) outside in the parking lot selling Italian Beef and such for $5, but there is also lots of hot food inside if you dare!

Parking is free but admission is $2 if you find yourself there one day.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alsip-swap-o-rama-flea-market-alsip

Here are two of the reviews I found truthful and/or more humourous than others:

1.  "Why beat around the bush, when you can buy illegal goods BEHIND the bush. Yea, I'm not sure what that means, but Swap-O-Rama has long been the super flea market for me!

Have you ever needed a butane lighter realistically fashioned like a gun? SWAP-O-RAMA'S GOTCHA COVERED!

You want to paint the baby's room, but this new fangled eggshell just doesn't cover as well as that vintage lead of your youth?
SWAP-O-RAMA'S GOTCHA COVERED!

She wants you to propose? Of course you can't afford a diamond, but you CAN afford to use this "ring" as a trust test, a real engagement maker or breaker?
YES! SWAP-O-RAMA'S GOTCHA COVERED!

Love cheap fashion knockoffs? But this whole illegal sweatshop worker thing gettin' in the way of your deals!?
SWAP-O-RAMA'S GOTCHA COVERED!

Seriously...a cash only circus of anyone who wants to set up a table and sell. There are so many people here, there is no way they can govern trades.

Open, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 7am-4pm."

2.  "I  have a secret love for this place. You can easily make this an all day outing here. If you can tolerate a massive crowd then come on by. This place is massive and there really is a good deal of ground to cover if you want to check out all the vendors.

For the most part you can get pretty good deals here but I would still suggest that you shop around inside this place before you make your purchase as some of these vendors here really are NOT selling things for that great of a price. Feel free to haggle also.

I would NOT suggest going here in the middle of summer. The heat inside this building can get deathly hot. They do charge a small cover to enter but it is only a couple of bucks. This is the granddaddy of all flea markets."

Edited by amsunshine 1/10/2010 17:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)