AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case ih quadtrac
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 4/19/2024 11:28 (#10712680 - in reply to #10712580)
Subject: RE: Case ih quadtrac

Jeffersonville, OH
I can't help on the Quad track question, but here's what I've learned from Tires vs Tracks on the Versatiles...

Tracks, you get in, and go run. They float, and pull, as they are equipped...I guess I have seen on the CIH Quads they offer weight packages, so assuming the weight is "close" to 100lbs/hp, it should go work very well, and still float on "softer" ground.

Tires...well, you need to balance the amount of rubber, with the weight and traction needed for what you want to accomplish for the task. An air drill may not take the same amount of weight to pull as a chisel plow (unless you are in hill country where you have to drag the thing up hills, and have weight to control it coming down), but if you need to pull a chisel, then you need to be heavy enough to get traction. So, typically, it means for some jobs you are either WAY too heavy, or WAY too light, and performance suffers. You also have to worry about adjusting air pressure based on those weights.

All things considered, wither one properly setup should perform very close to each other, but in my experience, Tracks are more forgiving to conditions and setup and still operating at expected performance. Cost for replacement tires, and replacement tracks are comparable, as is the lifespan if properly ballasted. There may be a few more moving parts with the Quad Track design, but there are a few good options for retrofits for better seals on the mid-rollers, so that should be well covered.

I sure don't hear anything terrible about the Quad Tracks in this area, other than mid-roller or bogey bearings. The newer IVECO/FPT engines I have heard of some emissions issues, but have heard the same on the Deere, and until recently, the Versatile had a very robust emissions solution, but since 2018ish we've had essentially the same system as others, and have seen more issues, mainly with sensors, no major problems. I have heard of a couple instances where the rear axle on a 2012ish Quad Track took a big dumb, and was very costly, but I do not believe it's a widespread issue, more of a "stuff" happens deal.

There are a lot of Quad Tracks sold since they came out in the 90's, so they are doing something right. Any product will have some problems.
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)