AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the likelihood of a repeat large tornado hitting the same areas years apart?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FarmerTom4440
Posted 4/5/2024 10:01 (#10694784)
Subject: What is the likelihood of a repeat large tornado hitting the same areas years apart?

Several years ago, got to observe a giant tornado at night just before it hit a second town and caused major destruction. Cant recall if that was an F5 or F4. Two years later a smaller tornado touched down and did considerable damage approximately two miles or less to the north of where the giant tornado struck and traveled. Six years prior to the huge tornado, a much smaller touched down about a mile north and that's the one I had an up close experience with. That one I didn't see coming in time to do much about. No way could a person outrun it on foot. Scary doesn't begin to describe it all.

Years later an F3 or F4 touched down barely a half mile or less north of where the giant tornado had. That one struck during the daytime and I was outside watching from a safe distance under cover and out of the pathway. The cloud to ground lightning was severe. It took a more northeast path and caused much less damage. Still pretty worrisome to watch. I'm no storm chaser. Just happened to be where so many tornadoes have formed and traveled through.

I've been curious if another large tornado will one day form and take the same or similar path. Could it be this has already occurred but prior to the area being populated? !800's? 1700's? 1600's?

Could prior tornado events such as the large Jarrell, Joplin, and other large tornadoes have occurred at the same areas before written history and weather phenomenon was recorded?

Edited by FarmerTom4440 4/5/2024 10:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)