AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought isn’t letting up.. we might not have enough moisture to germinate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/5/2024 10:57 (#10694843 - in reply to #10694541)
Subject: RE: Drought isn’t letting up.. we might not have enough moisture to germinate

southern MN
Hope you get the moisture you need.

It’s really hard to figure here in southern MN. We have nearly 0 snow melt. But snowmelt only floods the wetlands and floods down the creeks and rivers, it really doesn’t soak into the frozen ground. It’s not a big deal for crops. It might be a big deal for barge traffic tho? Rivers and ditches are flowing like a normal June here - low, not like the over their banks snow melt we typically have.

Tile are all running pretty good now, we had some odd rains and sort of snow the past 2 weeks. But with the subsoil a little dry it is actually soaking away. Typically this time of year any moisture is a waterlogged mess. It’s a little different this year, probably more like conditions you would be used to?

It is early April so in my growing region we really can’t get too excited about soil moisture here. We didn’t have a normal winter though, so it will be interesting how this plays out in my location. Typically we are looking at standing water on up to 1/3 of my fields. This year the low spots are drying out nicely as are the hill tops. Honestly it looks like a fantastic spring for a change.

But if it doesn’t rain all summer…… hum.

Some rain predicted on Sunday. Here in a typical early spring a little rain goes a long way on our type of dirt…..

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)