AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any one use a Wilger Flow Meter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/28/2024 08:23 (#10683796 - in reply to #10683550)
Subject: I would call it a flow monitor not a flow meter

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We have a 24-30" Deere planter. We use Wilger Flow Columns for both starter fertilizer and spray. We have 4 groups of 6 for the starter. We also have 4 groups of 6 for the spray. In other words, we have 48 flow columns on the planter. A ball is placed in each column and is pushed upward as an indication of flow.

Due to the difference in product densities and flow rates the "balls" for the starter and the "balls" for the spray might be different sets. Our Wilgers are flow monitors and not flow meters. I believe the device in the picture is also a flow monitor. It is my belief that it uses technology to show a graphical representation of the flow where with our basic system we need to actually look at the columns directly.

One set provides a visual reference for how the flow to each row for starter compares to each other. The other set provides a visual reference for how the flow to each row for spray compares to each other. The actual total flow is measured by a Raven flow meter is each system. The Raven flow meters are connected to Ag Leader modules that do show the applied rate.

The height of the columns gives us a ballpark indirect feel for the flow which is dependent on ground speed and rate. It would not be suitable to attempt to determine the actual rate of application.

We have these columns mounted plates made of light steel that has been painted white on stands on the wings of the planter. With auto steer, it is very easy to occasionally scan the columns to see if the balls on each product are the same height. If a tip should become plugged, the height in that column will be lower and we stop and investigate. By keeping the products clean and the plumbing in good condition we seldom have problems. It is reassuring to check the heights occasionally.

Edited by tedbear 3/28/2024 17:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)