AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blood thinners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WYDave
Posted 3/18/2024 18:40 (#10670542 - in reply to #10670393)
Subject: RE: Blood thinners

Wyoming

There are several medications prescribed as "blood thinners." 

I don't know your medical history, so I'm not going to recommend anything. What I will say is that "blood thinners" is a poor name for the class of drugs. They technically don't "thin" your blood; they inhibit clotting.

Without boring everyone to tears with a lecture on the "clotting cascade" in human biology, I'll just say this:

"Blood thinners" come in generally two types: 
- drugs that interfere with, or affect the protein clotting formation (which are called "anticoagulant" drugs)
- drugs that make blood platelets more 'slippery' and less eager to "catch" on the protein clot formation (called "antiplatelet" or "platelet aggregation inhibitor" drugs)

Apixaban (also known by the brand name Eliquis) is in the first class of drugs, and affects "Factor Xa" in the clotting cascade. It is usually well tolerated, and it usually has few side effects in most patients, which is why doctors like to prescribe it today over other, older drugs that would be prescribed, like Warfarin[*].  Other "Factor Xa" drugs are Xarelto (rivaroxaban), Arixtra (fondaparinux). 

The old-fashioned daily 81 mg "baby aspirin" that many people used to be prescribed is in the second class of meds, "platelet aggregation inhibitors" or "antiplatelet agent" drugs. Another drug called "Plavix" (clopidigrel) is also in this class of drugs. 

For those who would like to understand the clotting cascade, here's an overview:

Coagulation cascade (video) | Khan Academy

the unit that comes after that video addresses anticoagulation as well. 

[*] Warfarin inhibits the action of Vitamin K in clotting, so the overall effect of Warfarin needs regular testing of your blood's clotting speed, and you need to watch your diet with regards to leafy green vegetables that contain Vitamin K.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)