AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scammers will never run out of victims
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

SEBneil
Posted 3/17/2024 15:40 (#10668776 - in reply to #10668573)
Subject: RE: Scammers will never run out of victims

Mazon, IL
The problem is the scammers are getting very good at it. I can give 2 examples that happened to me in just the last month:

1. I got a phone call and caller ID showed it as coming from Fidelity. My IRA, HSA, and credit card are with Fidelity. I answered and they wanted to know my beneficiary on the account for verification. I gave that and they said my CC was used in Miami FL totaling almost $3k in charges and would cancel the charges and issue a new card.

I got suspicious after I got off the phone because they mispronounce my name. Not uncommon. I logged into the credit card after I got off the phone and it shows no charges or charge denials.

I then tried to log into my Fidelity IRA account and it has been locked and I can’t get in. Fidelity has different systems for credit card and IRA.

I called Fidelity (the same number that called me, I dialed it and didn’t do a call back). Fidelity uses voice recognition as part of security. The scammers spoofed Fidelity’s number to get information and one of the questions asked is beneficiary to get past voice recognition at Fidelity.

Fidelity got concerned and locked the account as the scammers failed voice recognition.

2. Friday, March 8th I get a call I don’t recognize so I don’t answer it. They leave a voicemail saying they are from Ascension medical and need insurance information to complete pre check in before my appointment that following Thursday. They also followed up with a text with a link to complete this information. Other than that weekend weekend, they called and texted every day wanting this information. I don’t have any appointments scheduled that I know of. Because of some previous health issues (cancer and thyroid issues) I tend to take these calls seriously. I’ve had doctors make appointments without my knowledge when cancer came up in the past.

After several days of these calls I called the number they left which went to a very normal computer system to enter the number for what you needed to do. I talk to a person (very American accent) and he wanted my name after I explained the situation (I mispronounced my name purposely, see item 1 above for reason) and promptly told him I gave it once and wouldn’t again. That ended the call. I logged into MyChart to see if I had any appointments or if possibly someone else created 1 in my name and there were none.

Unless a person is on high alert either of these 2 incidences could have been very extensive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)