AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gimme advice on getting some sheep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Donkey13
Posted 3/11/2024 08:05 (#10661031 - in reply to #10660870)
Subject: RE: Gimme advice on getting some sheep

ND
I started for the same exact reason. Get my kids outside and off the ipad. I started with 7 katahdins. Bought a black faced dorper. First year lambing was a wreck because we were at a basketball tournament for 4 hours during the day and 3 of them lambed and I came home to a mess. I'm on year 4 I think lambing and have 21 ewes now. Here's my suggestion. Go with hair sheep unless you want to learn to shear as you will have a hard time finding someone to shear up to 20. Some of the mobile guys have a flat fee regardless how many you have. I have gone to white dorper rams to try and get my sheep all white. They just look better in my opinion. Worm them all in spring when they get turned out on grass and then 60 days later. I rotate between valbazen drench and ivermectin injectable. Get yourself a square baler if you don't have one. Kids like hauling squares and toughen them up too. If they are young they will have a blast lambing. I started with a few hog panels and just bent them around and tied the ends to the wall in barn for jugs. You learn a little more every year. Lamb when you calve also since you don't want any more late nights. Mine pretty much all lamb around 6:00 am for some reason. I have expensive cameras for cattle barn and just bought a $80 wifi cheapie and works good for sheep. I could help you out with lambs or rams to get started reasonabley.

(IMG_1223 (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1223 (full).png (108KB - 39 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)