AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what age to sell angus bulls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 3/11/2024 01:37 (#10660843 - in reply to #10660400)
Subject: RE: what age to sell angus bulls

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Joe, it is a lot driven from the area you live in. If in my area in our terrain most all guys need bulls ready to work in 18-24 months of age. In fact I run in associations that our rules require coming two year old bulls to be old enough to be turned out for the first time. We then shoulder brand bull with number so anyone in area knows actual age of bull at a glance. We also require registration papers on bulls.

We do buy some coming yearling bulls to only run on heifers for first year. Then if they pan out well, will run those bulls again on one more set for heifers. Then those bulls will progress into main cow herd the following year.

You need to cater to your market share, being spring purchase vs. fall purchase. Do most guys spring calve or fall calve in your area? Also how far are you willing to deliver bulls to customers. Also need to factor in replacement bulls for customers if bull goes down in first of breeding season. These services need to factored into your pricing structure of bulls.

Are you going to offer bargain price, with no warranty? Or you going to stand behind bulls with warranty? Offer trich, semen testing as standard practice as well as PAP scores for high elevation customers if that need is in your area. You set a standard to your program. People will knock on your doors to buy.

I know of some bull producers that sell private treaty all word of mouth. Have never advertised, they sell out every year. I've never even gotten a chance to look at their bulls. They have a select customer base. Basically pre-sold every year.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 3/11/2024 01:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)