AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who’s buying these outrageously priced feeders, cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sidneyfarmer
Posted 3/10/2024 09:08 (#10659729 - in reply to #10658851)
Subject: RE: Who’s buying these outrageously priced feeders, cows?

Sheridan Mi
ahay68979 - 3/9/2024 14:00

Not being arrogant. But every time I read the poor cow guy. I wonder if it's so easy then why aren't they feeding there own calves up to yearlings or fats? Keep middle guy out. And see how it works for them.
I have cow herd too. And we feed till yearlings vs selling off cow because makes more money.

As a matter of fact, I do. I sold my dairy cattle 20 years ago and bought up several small herds of black cows. Prices were in the tank and a lot of little guys wanted out. I had my concrete feedlot and feed bunks here form the dairy along with my bunker silo and all of my feeding and manure handling equipment, I started keeping all of my Holstein bull calves in January of 03 along with my heifer calves as I always had. The dairy cows went in November that year. It just made sense to me to feed everything out. The only thing that's changed much for me is, I don't have to milk cows anymore. Everything else is pretty much the same.

The auctioneer at the sale barn calls my operation a revolving door. I sell fats, the cows have calves and I fill the feedlot back up again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)