AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rye vs. Triticale Baleage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

j.p
Posted 3/7/2024 17:40 (#10656075 - in reply to #10655741)
Subject: RE: Rye vs. Triticale Baleage

NWIL
I like the SS better. I’d rather feed it then the trit. Heck, the cows will walk past great third cutting alfalfa to go for the SS, and do as well or better.

After using it for several years now sowing the trit in the fall is pretty much done to maximize the tonnage off those acres, the field isn’t going to corn/beans, so may as well take those 5-6 bales an acre the trit give me instead of letting it sit bare.

As for why not just do more acres of trit and plant beans behind it, it’s a timing thing and results thing. I got tired of seeing a 15-20 bushel yield hit most years on the beans compared to my full seasons. One year I cut earlier to try to mitigate it and was unhappy with my trit crop to where it was doubtful it was worth it, that turned into my first foray into SS. Im covering quite a few acres alone and just don’t want to be staring at triple the acres I’d need to sow in the fall or put up in the spring when I’m needing to keep my combine or planter going, so call it a time management thing. These cows make me some money, but I realize the main profit center is the row crops and the cows need to adjust to fit that instead the other way around.

Edited by j.p 3/7/2024 17:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)