AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

In-ground Storm / tornado shelters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 3/3/2024 20:10 (#10650271 - in reply to #10650232)
Subject: RE: In-ground Storm / tornado shelters

East of Broken Bow
How shallow is your water table? Be sure it will stay dry even in the event of a big rain.
My next advice would be if at all possible, be able to access it without having to leave the house. The last tornado that was in the area came with hailstones almost like tennis balls. Be sure it has some sort of ventilation, as well.
Also, get one bigger than you think you need, and put some sort of storage inside of it, if a tornado does take your house, you will want some stuff on hand, like important papers, extra copy of your credit card(s) and cash. I also have some snap lights in ours on the shelf where I can find them even in the total dark. Better than a flashlight in that they can sit there for years and still work instead of having dead batteries. Also keep some clothes in there, even if just sweats and some sort of shoes. If there is a tornado, you don't want to be barefoot and only in your underwear.
You should not need to worry much about long term survival, after a tornado there are certain to be people going around to be sure everyone is OK. However, some bottled water and non-perishable snacks are never a bad idea.
I would also price a larger one. It would suck to have company over, a storm blow in, and only 6 or 7 of 10 people could fit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)