AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Livestock auction rant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldskool
Posted 3/1/2024 22:56 (#10647579 - in reply to #10646680)
Subject: RE: Livestock auction rant?

Pretty common to a point. However, a good auctioneer will put and end to it if the sale is getting delayed as a result of sorting one off that is the same color, sex, and weight as the group with no blemishes. One auctioneer in particular will sit back while a rookie auctioneer lets sorting slide, until he sees a nice group of calves coming down the runway. Then he will take over, say something along the lines, “ oil up them hinges boys were going to sell some cattle”. Very quick bidding and if a buyer tries to have the ringmen sort anything off the auctioneer tells them, “all to go” without missing a beat. The buyers won’t balk as the load is too good to pass up bidding on. Gets the sale moving again and unless it’s an extremely obvious sort, the calves are in and out before they are called “sold”.

I used to get all bent out of shape about having a calf or two sorted back. Then in 2014 they ran a group of my light 5wts through with two having a slight limp and one completely blind in both eyes. It was a large group that filled the ring and all 3 must have been hidden in the middle as they sold in one draft. Took home $1,550/hd on the whole group, and I think about that with a smile every time one gets cut back.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)