AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

electromagnetic pulse, black swan?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 2/18/2024 21:56 (#10629691 - in reply to #10627026)
Subject: RE: Carrington event.

EC Nebraska
jd7520 - 2/17/2024 08:15

"Today, we'd have a few hours warning. Enough time to shut things down and get tractors parked inside tin sheds and the doors closed. If we reacted in time. Most people probably wouldn't."

Sorry, parking in a shed will not protect your electronics. You need a faraday cage to protect from a Carrington event. Your equipment will be just as dead as everyone else's. How much electronics would there have been pre 1860's? practically 0 so how would anyone know there was an event?

NE Ridger - 2/16/2024 09:08

The 1859 event turned night into day across half the globe.

I don't know, maybe people wouldn't notice the entire sky lighting up for most of a night. Maybe the street torches drowned out the glow. And why would anyone notice that the sky didn't get dark when it was supposed to? Nothing note worthy there. *****

I've seen such a thing happen while camping in the Boundary Waters area. This very weekend, 15 or so years ago. And that was just basic Northern lights, but they lit up the entire sky east to west, and halfway to the south. They lasted well over an hour, maybe longer. It was enough light to read by at the peak, and it was well lit even inside the tent.

Something like that, but around the entire globe and for half a day or more? It would have been noticed. The only question is, would it have been written down and would the writing have survived? Any time after the mid-1500's, I think the answers would be yes. Prior to say, 1400? maybe not. There's no way to know for sure.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)