AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting out hay on a foggy afternoon
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/25/2024 21:05 (#10593482 - in reply to #10593337)
Subject: RE: Putting out hay on a foggy afternoon - Herefords

Driftless SW Wisconsin

About purebred Herefords, if you have been in traditional cow/calf, selling calves at the sale barn you in the fall, the CAB hype has meant taking a big hit compared to the black calves. That's why I got licensed and went to retail sales with my small herd.

Nowadays if you have a big enough herd where you can sell calves at a CHB sale prices are comparable for comparable Hereford calves. Places like Sysco are finding a good market for CHB. 

One problem I see with Herefords is the fact many are raised for shows, not the pasture. You have to develop a herd with pasture genetics if you're in the beef business. Often that means building a cowherd on your own, a long term project.

This is the time of year the bull sale flyers are coming in the mail. It does bug me to see these perfect-looking bulls for sale with low or even negative CED (Calving Ease Direct) EPDs!  Other EPDs are important  (in my grass-fed birth-to-plate operation Marbling score is my next look at EPDs) but we basically buy bulls to sire calves. Unless you enjoy pulling calves, dealing with paralyzed cows from a difficult birth or dead calves, CED should be a bull's #1 attribute. And an accurate CED from a breeder who really believes in EPDs. End of rant.

And thanks to all who reply about being careful. A good message for all of us especially this time of year with the ice, etc.

Edited by Jim 1/25/2024 21:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)