AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I wasting time and money trying to make cow milk more?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/26/2024 09:40 (#10594185 - in reply to #10593960)
Subject: RE: just my 2 cents

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
That's good if calves can live on their own in your country. I saw some of your pics you posted. Looks to be a great area you live in. However in my world and in big country, our cattle range on close to 200,000+ acres over a season. If they don't have the start with good milk the first portion of life, they become dinks.

Dinks are calves with a great will to live, never get sick. But would be say calf born in March and come home in October and they don't weigh 300 lbs. They turn into a bean belly. I've picked up calves on range that are either twins or mom lost her milk or it got doggied off mom. They will show up real quick in the first 2-3 weeks of life. They need to go home for grafting or raise on the bottle.

I respect your views, great things work in your area like that. One calf, one cow here in this country. Force a cow to raise twins here in our country trailing 30 miles one way from spring to fall country you'll end up with a open cow and two small calves. Our goal is to raise a calf and get cow bred back with minimal contact with humans and very minimal supplements.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)