AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I wasting time and money trying to make cow milk more?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WCWI
Posted 1/24/2024 14:02 (#10591270 - in reply to #10591143)
Subject: RE: Am I wasting time and money trying to make cow milk more?

If calf looks nice that is certainly an option if there is a market for week old calves in Texas, ship calf sell cow now, option #2 let them out and watch calf to see that it is doing OK, will probably not do as well as the others, risk is that the calf gets out 2-3 weeks and is not getting enough and goes backwards, cannot ship anymore without getting the shaft, but if you can catch you can try feeding it, but had one one time and was too stubborn to suck or drink anything other then mom's teat, if you have green grass (I do not now about Texas, here if it was late April and grass greening up I would be less concerned) for the calf soon then less risk. Option #3 sell calf now put cow out and let her flesh up a little more figuring she will gain weight over the next 30-90 day and market may go up on culls. Feed is not the limiting factor on her production if she has decent body condition, probably more effort and expense then it is worth to try and feed her more or extra at this point. This is all worth what you paid for it! maybe!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)