AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any experience with external HDD for DISH TV?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

GS2
Posted 1/26/2024 05:53 (#10593751 - in reply to #10585988)
Subject: RE: Any experience with external HDD for DISH TV?

North Central US
tedbear - 1/21/2024 14:45

I'm having a rash of problems with my electronics lately many of which are probably my own fault.

Let's try this one. I have had DISH TV for some 18 years. I currently have the Hopper model receiver with the ability to record and save programs. I purchased a computer external USB Hard Drive some years ago to attach to the DISH receiver to increase the storage capacity. When the external drive is plugged into the DISH USB port, the system is supposed to recognize the presence of the drive and ask for permission to reformat it in the DISH format. This happened with the drive and it worked fine for several years.

About two weeks ago, the external drive no longer worked and its in use indicator would cycle ON/OFF. I concluded that the external drive had failed. I removed that drive and tried it on my Win 10 computer. I was hoping it would be recognized by the computer and could be formatted to be used with a PC again. I was not successful and assumed that the drive had failed.

I then tried another external hard drive that had been working fine with one of my Win computers. When I plugged it into the DISH receiver I expected to get the message asking for permission to format it. Apparently it did not recognize that the drive was present. The receiver continued to work fine but I couldn't use the external hard drive for extra storage.

I called DISH and they sent me a new DISH receiver. I got it set up and it worked fine so I tried an external hard drive with it. Again it was not recognized. I tried a Seagate SSD external drive and it was not recognized. I then tried a SanDisk SSD. The DISH receiver did recognize its presence and asked permission to format it. I agreed and the DISH receiver proceeded to format it. I was fairly confident at that point in time. However, the progress dots kept working for some 20 minutes and I finally gave up. This may have been a mistake and possibly I should have let it go overnight. I removed the drive and plugged it back into my Win computer which now does not recognize it either. So it appears the process of trying the SanDisk SSD in the DISH receiver it may have damaged the SanDisk although I'm hopeful someone smarter than I can revitalize it as I wouldn't think it would be actually damaged.

I tried plugging the SanDisk back into the DISH once again but it is not recognized now. I tried Resets in between also.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dish receivers are very picky on what they will accept. Last I read, SSDs are not approved and shouldn't work with it.

We played the game of trying to make one work and in the end, we ended up paying for the highly marked up one Dish sells

Even then, there are times we have to restart the dish box multiple times for it to recognize it. We've been through 4 different Hopper 3s now. All the same way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)