AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any experience with external HDD for DISH TV?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/22/2024 17:29 (#10588138 - in reply to #10588064)
Subject: RE: Any experience with external HDD for DISH TV?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, I've tried a variety of external drives from some older ones with their own power supplies and the most recent was a SanDisk 2 Tb model that had been working fine with a Win 11 computer. I may have damaged it though. The DISH system was working on formatting it their way but it didn't seem to finish. I pulled the plug at some 20 minutes. I should have let it work on it all night.

This morning I tried it again and surprisingly it recognized the SSD's presence and asked permission to format it. I agree and it appeared to start the format process. I walked away and vowed to let it work. I came back and checked some time later and the there was no indication that the format process was still working. I thought (foolishly) that the format may have completed but when I tried to transfer a recorded program to it, I again got the message that it could not find an external drive.

I then tried to use that partially formatted SSD back in my computer which would not acknowledge its presence. I had a friend try various things to try to revive the SSD so that I could once again at least use it with a computer. He tried it on several computers. The newer ones would not recognize the presence of the SSD. An older one did but would not format it.

Besides not getting extra working storage on the DISH system, it appears that I have ruined the SSD for future use anywhere. I read some approaches to reformatting it on a computer for use there but the suggestions all assume that the computer recognizes the presence of the SSD.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. I can't believe that the system would physically ruin the SSD. There must be a way to revive it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)