AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Winter woes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cowfeeder
Posted 1/15/2024 19:28 (#10576382 - in reply to #10576218)
Subject: RE: Winter woes

Northwest Iowa
+1 And these shops don’t need to be fancy as houses. I took a plain Lester pole shed that Dad built in 1984 and added things piece by piece to get mine. It even only had a dirt floor. 1st year I poured cement door openings 6 feet in and 6 feet out so the sliding doors would “seal”. Then cut 1 1/2” styrofoam and stuck between the nailers on the walls and doors. Lined the ceiling with cheapest Menards steel that they had at the time. Blew 14” of insulation on top of that. 250K btu LB White heater hung along the wall. 1st winter it took just under 100 gal of propane to keep it 45 degrees in there all winter. Over the next couple of years we added another 2” styrofoam layer and put in insulated overhead doors. Finally finished cementing it out about year 5. 40’x60’ total size, with 2 20’ doors holds tractor and feeder wagon, 2 payloaders, and 2 skidloaders and workbench area. Takes about 500 gal of propane a winter and keep it at 50 degrees now. Doors open and close many times a day. It’s not all Agtalk approved but works well for me. All that’s 5 engines that are all 50 degrees each morning without plugging them all in and have 1 engine heater quit on a Sunday morning. And all hydraulic oil flows. I heated it with a dirt floor for several years and got along fine.
Without he over head doors and concrete, it cost about $4500 to insulate and buy the heater.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)