AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My 6130 r seems to not like winter. Got to feed!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 1/15/2024 08:31 (#10575087 - in reply to #10575053)
Subject: RE: My 6130 r seems to not like winter. Got to feed!!!

SE Manitoba
toby - 1/15/2024 08:18

Realize the wrong forum but livestock farmers have a lot of experience with feeding tractors. Last winter never a problem but yesterday with temp at 15 with a wind it nearly did not start. It is now in a cold shop so I can blow heat on it and charge the battery. I am not sure if it has a preheater or if it does is it working ( how do you tell). No block heater so that is on me. It was not a problem in normal winter weather but now I am worried. With the weather we have coming in Tennessee. Need suggestions how to survive the next 7 days of very unusual weather. Neagtives at night and 15 to 23 in the day time.

Toby

Well - - - - a block heater is pretty cheap in comparison to the headaches of starting a very cold tractor.
(Its no fun to add in a block heater when its cold but its even less fun trying to start the beast when its struggling!
Drain the anti-freeze/coolant mix to below the level of a frost plug on the block and in she goes - - - easier to do from a warm engine in my experience.
Dunno how difficult it is to get one in your country - - - here not so but I would be a looking!)

Here - - - - its a lot colder - - - but - - - on a hydrostat tractor - - - well I had a block heater, oil pan heater, hyrdostat oil tank heater, and when it got real cold I would plug in the battery warmers and a trickle charger.

Throwing a tarp over and dropping in a smallish space heater is also a possibility - - - but be careful - - - you don't want to burn up the tractor either! (**** happens and it always seems to be most likely when its bitter cold!)
Other than that - - - its called live with it - - - warning a little bit of ether can help - - - a wee bit too much - - - well you can lock up your engine and worst case set yourself up for an upcoming engine rebuild, so - - - again - - - be careful!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)