AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pasture water lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Cowman
Posted 10/26/2023 08:43 (#10456422 - in reply to #10454805)
Subject: RE: Pasture water lines

WCWI - 10/24/2023 23:03

Mine lay on the surface other then the first 700 feet which is buried 6 inches deep, we are quite rolling so just have taps and drain it in the low spots.

Edit: additional question: has anyone ever just let it freeze?> I know you can when an end is shallow as long is it is covered so it only freezes and thaws once per season, in other words it fully thaws before it freezes again.

I have a gravity system off a dugout with 1.75 miles of 1.25” 75psi poly pipe with 18” of cover. The lines are above ground where it fills open top tire troughs in 3 locations. There’s over 140’ of drop as it has over 60 psi at the end of the line.

I used it blow it out. One fall I had lots of grazing and just let it run wide open to keep the troughs open and the line from freezing while grazing. It worked till we had a week of below -20C 0F. It froze up and I just left it. Come spring I only had to replace one ball valve that had split.

Ever since I just close the shutoff valves at the troughs and walk away. I usually end up replacing a shutoff valve ( gate valves seem to handle the freezing better than ball valves) and sometimes a cheap Ritchie float valve. Been doing that over 20 years and no plans on changing.

Your mileage may vary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)