AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aggressively dislike this…
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

moon1234
Posted 10/13/2023 09:25 (#10438720 - in reply to #10437828)
Subject: RE: Aggressively dislike this…

De Forest, WI
Balzy - 10/12/2023 18:50

It’s not practical to establish a colony on Mars either, but there are people who are striving toward that goal.

Practical is subjective. If you have almost unlimited funds then “practical” is simply how much it will cost and if the money source wants to pay.

Musk thinks there is a real threat that some idiot will push the nuke button and it will be all over. He isn’t wrong on that concept. Nuclear and Biological weapons are no longer limited to just a couple nation states. The concepts are easy enough for a lot of smart people to understand and build. It’s only for lack of equipment or sufficient raw material that more countries don’t have access.

Having a “colony” on another planet makes sense. It would require a huge amount of infrastructure to live there permanently and be self sustaining. Essentially 100 or more years to get setup. Can it be done? I think it can. Will it happen? I think it will, eventually if humans don’t destroy themselves. We have all of the necessary technology now. It’s simply the will to spend the money and do it.

Any life on MARS would be in a dome. I don’t think it possible at this time to terraform MARS. MARS planetary core has cooled too much and the required magnetic field to hold an atmosphere is not strong enough. So any colony there would need to be a dome. If it were “me” I would also want an underground airtight facility in case of problems with the dome.

The Expanse TV show was a glimpse of what such a scenerio could look like.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)