AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns how do you feel about this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/11/2023 09:12 (#10310928 - in reply to #10310849)
Subject: RE: John Burns how do you feel about this?

Pittsburg, Kansas

We quit using sunscreen about 4 years ago.

For one thing we just use protective clothing as we feel is needed to protect our skin from sunburn. The obvious places expected that are unprotected are our ears and back of neck. So if excessive sun exposure causes cancer that is where we will get it, and many people do get it there.

Sunburn is bad. Don't do it. 

Since quitting eating vegetable oils in our diet (other than a small amount we get when eating out from the grill - we don't do commercial salad dressings) my observation is we do not burn as easily. In other words we can have more sun exposure than we used to without burning. I can't say for sure this is true. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. But that is my observation and in the last couple years I have ran across potential mechanisms that explain why that may be true. It has to do with the fats that make up all cellular walls.

As far as the sunscreens being more dangerous than the sun exposure, I have heard that from different sources. They are probably getting it all from the same studies or else just assuming it is true by the ingredients such as the person you linked to on Facebook. We likely will never know for sure, at least in our lifetimes. Who is going to finance a long term study with sufficient size where it costs multi-million dollars? Cosmetic industry? Pharma industry? No and no and no. So likely any studies that show harm are and will be small and underpowered to get good answers.

That is about all I think I know on the subject. Subject to change with changing information. My opinion on anything is not worth squat. Do your own research.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)