AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 5/26/2023 10:34 (#10244372 - in reply to #10244169)
Subject: RE: White planters

Jeffersonville, OH
I'll add...who knows how many I still service, probably 200 of them in our area.

If you have a factory monitor you will never know that it's skipping or doubling unless it's REALLY bad, and if it's not really bad, you will look at it and see GREAT stands. The only people I have complaining about their stands are guys with Ag Leader or Precision to monitor it, and see the singulation percentage. If you go look at the stand, it's as good as anything BUT a brand new Deere or Precision vSet meter.

Dad bought an 8523 in 2007, and planted with it factory until 2018ish...then I replaced the ISO monitor with AG Leader Advanced seed monitoring, hydraulic drive, and point row clutches, and his first year planting he called and was yelling at me about his singulation...I asked him what changed from last year, and he couldn't tell me, but I knew it was a new monitor and autosteer and he had time to watch it. I told him it was planting exactly like it had every year before, and he needed to tell his seed guy to get him better graded seed.

Here are the facts of the White air meter. Seed size needs to match the cell size of the disc, if you can physically get more than one seed in the plate, it will double. For corn, you can get a flat seed disc that works very nice for medium and small flat seeds. If you do have an advanced monitor and can see skips and double percentage, you can adjust air pressure to help it to a point. More skips, need more air, more doubles, less air...if the percentage is the same, then you can't do anything short of trying a different disc. This is one of the main reasons AGCO bought Precision planting, the vSet2 meter with it's automatic adjusting singulator has excellent singulation no matter the seed size.

I have been told by folks in the seed business that seed used to be graded 13 passes, at some point they went to 7 passes, and they plan to go to 4 passes. I don't know if there is any truth to any of that, but I can tell you we have seen bulk seed with a lot more variation in seed sizes than we have bag seed. Of course that all varies by seed company as well.

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)