AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stories about Bad Equipment Breaks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

HLChas
Posted 4/20/2023 12:46 (#10194778)
Subject: Stories about Bad Equipment Breaks

All farmers have bad equipment breaks, **** happens, and it's planting season so I know it's happening

A few years ago I clocked and unloading auger on the combine on a tree. Had left it out since it wouldn't go back in, realized I was about out of diesel after finishing a field and it got into a fight with the sycamore on the corner. Limped home with a bent auger and a wounded pride

But this spring? But was this the worst. This time it wasn't me but Dad. He bent the latch plate on our Kinze pivot planter to the point we knew we'd have to bend it back to unlatch. When I was away Dad tried to bend it back. With some fire and force. I can't put together the full story of what happened but he tried to rotate it after some time and it was so stuck from that bent plate it broke the center latch post at the base and broke the hydraulic cylinder pivot as well as smashing an electrical box.

Essentially have to replace the whole center pivot post along with the hydraulic cylinder. The estimate for the dealer to fix? $24k. Absolutely kill me. Insurance agent isn't sure insurance will cover it since it was operator error and not an physical accident, eg clocking an auger on a tree.

What a day, this sucks.

Anyone else want to share bad/expensive machinery breaks?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)