AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

C-Section schools???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

FJS
Posted 3/16/2023 21:07 (#10143734 - in reply to #10141998)
Subject: RE: C-Section schools???

Tomball,Texas

I cut one out before,cow was just about dead ,they both died anyway,There isn’t much separating that calf from the world.I’ve been involved in hundreds of assisted calf births,encountered everything you can imagine getting a calf out of a cow, only one time I remember calling a vet it was on a Super Bowl Sunday,my brother and I were worn out after several hours of trying to get the calf out,vet came gave some shots to deaden her and stop her from pushing, shaved some hair and poured some iodine on her where he planned on cutting,sliced here open and calf was right there.He sewed her up in a couple of layers,calf was dead and she died anyway.
Few years later we had another bad one, after several hours of taking turns trying get it situated and lined up we were both exhausted and she was down and paralyzed,calf was still pulling against me when I was trying to get it lined up so I cut her open just like the vet did,calf died cow was dead.
If you can get whatever the spine block is the cutting and the sewing wouldn’t be hard to figure out.
I would think the most important thing is deciding when to do the procedure and not waiting too long like I did,I would think the chances of recovery are a lot better the sooner you get the calf out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)