AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why diets fail
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/29/2023 12:18 (#10066348 - in reply to #10066282)
Subject: RE: Why diets fail

Pittsburg, Kansas
I have observed that my eating has very much to do with habit.

I get a little hungry right around lunch time. Normally most of the year we don't eat breakfast and eat our first meal around noon or 1pm. However down here in Bonaire a light breakfast is served so I get accustomed to eating a couple eggs 5 days a week at breakfast time. But I still get the same amount of "hungry" right around noon.

Funny thing is if I skip lunch, the hunger goes away in a half hour or an hour. Then I am not hungry till normal supper time.

I think the initial slight feeling of hunger is more habit related rather than actual hunger because of running out of energy. I really could only eat one meal a day and did that for a while. The only thing I found, once in the routine, was that I had to eat so much at one meal I didn't like the amount of time it took or the amount of chewing during eating such a big meal. I found I preferred two meals a day, but it was not because of hunger or energy levels.

My hunger at noon I would bet is 95% due to habit, not really hunger because I "need" to eat for energy.

Now carbs, that is a whole different story. Hunger for the carb eating person is different. It is because of the insulin low blood sugar rebound and that hunger is based on the body telling a person they need energy. Eating a medium or high carb diet, hunger is definitely an issue and why a person eats three meals a day plus snacks in between. The hunger is real, albeit misplaced because the body is getting the wrong signals.

There is a big difference in hungar signals for a primarily fat burning person compared to a mostly glucose burning person.

Edited by John Burns 1/29/2023 12:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)