AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Confusion with USB Stick Formats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/1/2023 10:53 (#10015501 - in reply to #10015243)
Subject: RE: Confusion with USB Stick Formats

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Thanks for the replies. First I will only use these el cheapo USB sticks for nonvital tasks mainly for music. I don't trust the Chinese but still buy some products from them. I notice that on some sites, the same product will be listed at different places with the same picture and description but different prices. If a product is offered different ways, the heading will describe the most deluxe package but the price will be for the least deluxe package until you purchase it. For example, a site might indicate a group of 10 USB sticks but the price in the headline is only for 1. When you click on the screen showing 10 then the price changes and is correct for 10. Shipping and handling often exceeds the price of the products.

One of the many things that puzzled me is that some of my older reliable USB sticks such as the Kingston that came with my InCommand 1200 used to work but failed for me when they were involved with my office computer. The Kingston should have been of good quality.

To add to the confusion I took one of my Chinese Sticks that I first asked about and got it reformatted by the office Win 10 machine. I then started adding music to it on a folder by folder basis. I have my MP3 music saved on an external hard drive in folders by artist and album name. That means the total number of files per subfolder is fairly small.

I started out by copying a single folder which was then readable/playable by the office computer and also by my ChromeBook. I then added another folder and again that was successful and both folders appeared as expected. I then got brave and copies two folders in the copy process. Again that seems to have been successful.

This is in essence what I had done with the Red stick earlier EXCEPT I had gotten greed and had attempted to copy a large number of folders in a single step. Possibly that is why I got the error message and that the computer that moved the files would not work with the stick although another computer could.

Now that I've got a few files on the green stick formatted as exFAT which seems to work in both the office Win 10 machine and the Chromebook, I will try it in my Silverado. I expect a failure there.

Oh well something to do until Football starts again today.

Edited by tedbear 1/1/2023 10:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)