AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Confusion with USB Stick Formats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 1/1/2023 08:46 (#10015243 - in reply to #10014257)
Subject: RE: Confusion with USB Stick Formats

Had a recent issue on older computer that runs accounting software. XP machine not tied or connected to internet in any way.

Have 3 USB drives that I save data too in addition to the hard drive.

Essentially 3 backups.

Same accounting software on a XP laptop not connected either

After swapping USB drives to laptop to update files when I put them back in the desktop they could not be recognized.

Did some searching around and came across something that seemed to work. I had to delete the USB root hub then when I reinstalled the USB drives they were once again recognized and worked as in the past.

I can't verify this is your problem or that you cannot really mess things up doing this.

I saved this copy and paste of what I had found. This referenced a USB mouse but may also apply to flash drives ????

At any rate proceed with caution but this might give you something to search the internet with.

Also be advised this was posted in 2004 well prior to Windows 10

>I think I have tackled this issue w/o having to update
>any drivers, install any third-party software, reconfigure the registry, re-program,
>or buy new
>hardware (ie hubs or cans of red bull to keep me up).
>
>The Known Issue: Your USB Mouse in Windows becomes inactive or it "stops responding"
>after your machine has been idle (ie screensaver, coming back
>to your machine after taking a # 1, after hibernation, or otherwise).
>
>The Solution: Right click on My Computer, Properties.., Hardware Tab, Device Manager
>button, Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Double-click on USB Root Hub or
>right click Properties, Power Management tab, Deselect "Allow the computer to turn
>of this device to save power".
>
>By default, and i'm not sure why Windows does this,
>Microsoft has the USB Root Hub shut itself off when not in use to save power. A
>feature that is probably more of a utility to those who use Notebookes (like the
>one I have when I discovered this issue). Although a novel idea, it's the very root
>of this problem. This is why in order to get the mouse to work again you would have
>to unplug it and then plug it back in. This alerts the USB root hub to turn itself
>back on again. A weird alert trigger considering that Microsoft should have the
>USB Root Hub turn itself back on as soon as you begin to you use the mouse again.
> What surprises me even more is that Microsoft hasn't officially addressed the issue
>yet. Especially when they know that millions upon millions of their users will use
>USB mice.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)