AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New views of the WIU Organic Research Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 6/16/2022 22:36 (#9709022 - in reply to #9708360)
Subject: RE: New views of the WIU Organic Research Farm

My student worker driving the Oliver 1850 did an awesome job. I don't know if he had ever cultivated before but he is an experienced tractor operator and very quickly learned the ropes (lining up, setting down, picking up, staying on-line, adjusting ground speed).

The cultivator was set very tight and lighting was not ideal (ever other pass into the setting sun and finishing in low light conditions) but very little corn got sliced off or buried (< 0.1%).

Regarding the weedy inter-rows, there was a consistent pattern... the inter-rows with planter tractor tire tracks that did not receive a tire track during blind cultivation were weedier.

I did all the blind cultivation (1 pass with a tine weeder 6 days after planting and 1 pass with a rotary hoe 6 days later) by myself and it was a learning process.

If I could go back in-time I would do both the tine weeding and rotary hoeing 1-2 days earlier and I would set the rotary hoe more aggressively.

I think I've done better job with rotary hoeing our beans (some bean plots received a 3rd rotary hoeing this evening).

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Edited by jbgruver 6/16/2022 22:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)