AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planting in stripper header stubble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/3/2009 13:23 (#731554 - in reply to #731544)
Subject: RE: planting in stripper header stubble

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I think the approach you should take is very dependent on what is out in the field.

In the original post above, the question was about planting into strip head harvested wheat. This means that basically the entire mature plant is still out there, more or less intact except the grain is missing. Often this is down, at least in places, and can be 2 ft tall/long and heavy.

I was in the S KS area earlier this spring. If you are zeroed out for insurance there may not be near the residue out there that there is in the stripper head question above.

I would spray it and get it dead as soon as possible.  If it is brown-dead I would just go in with the planter with HD DP springs (or weights added to each row unit) and row cleaners, preferably unit mounted (not floating) and preferably set in the intersecting position. Two Curvetines or similar closing wheels will help on the back end.

If the wheat is still green either go in with the planter alone (check and adjust your vee openers before doing this) or with a cutting coulter on the front.

Your appraoch really needs to be based on what is out in the field. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/3/2009 13:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)