AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about super chargers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mike in sw mn
Posted 5/27/2009 09:46 (#724435 - in reply to #724274)
Subject: Re: Teach me about super chargers?

Walnut Grove MN USA
There are two different kinds of superchargers, centrifigal and axail, or Roots. The centrifigals look a lot like a big alternator or air cond. compressor and axials usually fit directly in place of the intake manifold. Amount of boost runs from just a few pounds to over 80 on a Top fuel dragster. For regular passenger car territory 10 pounds would be a lot. What they will do for a car is increase the low end torque quite a bit. Shouldn't hurt mileage provided you keep your foot out of it, put your foot in it and your engine feels much bigger than it is. They have been around for decades. Ford put them on a few Thunderbirds back in the late '50s, Pontiac had them on various cars including the Bonneville SSE a few years ago. The old Detroit Diesels had the roots style and many of them were yanked off junk engines and too this day are put on a small block and big block chevys, ford and many a 426 hemi for racing and show cars, you know the ones where the engine is taller than the roof line of the car? That is the 6-71 or 8-71 GMC supercharger. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about a factory setup. Good octane rating is a must however since a supercharger stuffs more air and fuel into the combustion chamber thereby increasing your effective compression ratio.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)