AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chopping corn heads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

vvv
Posted 5/26/2009 14:36 (#723528 - in reply to #723179)
Subject: Re: chopping corn heads

West Central MN
We had a Drago for four years and have now had a Gerringhoff for two years. We were very happy with the Drago the first two years until we started raising triple stacked corn. The stalks were just too tough to chop properly and the last year we had the Drago we had to run over half of our acres with a stalk chopper just to be able to get it through the chisel plow. ANY of the lawnmower heads will do a good job in green corn, but will not do a good job in droughty corn.

With the Drago we would start each year with new blades and would flip them half way through harvest. I think it was close to $100 a row to start with new blades each year and then the time to flip them half way through was sort of a pain. We also destroyed one row gear box on a rock and that was a very expensive and time consuming fix. We have two years on the Gerringhoff and have yet to replace anything yet although I'm sure we will at least have to rotate some disks around before this fall. Yes, the grease zerks are a pain but it works much better if you combine a couple of hours and then grease them. Do not try to do it first thing in the morning, does not work good. We have been lucky to not have down corn yet with Gerringhoff but I do understand that they do not do a great job picking it up.

In short, we are very happy with the Gerringhoff and have no plans of switching back to ANY of the lawnmower type heads anytime soon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)