AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip Till - Freshening Strips in Spring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KennyKorn
Posted 5/25/2009 12:01 (#722403 - in reply to #722338)
Subject: RE: Soil Warrior

I went to Soi Warrior's web site, and they are an interesting machine! It certainly is a possibility. My concerns with corn on corn would still be the same, though. It takes a while to warm up here in the spring, and I have even heard of strip tillers having to wait longer than conventional guys due to the areas their wheels would drive on taking a long time to dry up enough to go, and that was in soybean stubble! You bring up placement of P&K and there are definitely valid questions about this. My thoughts (may be detached from reality) are that if you are 6-8 inches deep, maybe more, with your band, the corn will get it once their primary roots are developed. It would survive and thrive on pop-up starter and residual p&K till then. Soybeans can reach that deep to, I think? Wouldn't our soils develop a nice fertility profile if that crop keeps "bringing up" that p&K and depositing that on top in the form of crop residue? It could be I am way off here, but it makes sense to me!

As far as soil warrior goes, do you own two SW machines then, one for spring and one for fall? And where are you at? The more I learn, the more I think that geography makes a HUGE difference in what will and will not work. And to you strip till for soybeans as well?

More questions than answers here!

KK
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)